How Dyslexia Treatment Can Benefit Your Child’s Mental Health
Currently, there is a spotlight on mental health and its importance – and for good reason. The mental health of children and young adults is especially concerning. According to the CDC, poor mental health is a prevalent problem for adolescents. When it comes to working with students with dyslexia, seeking treatment for their specific learning disability not only helps to improve academic skills, it can also have great benefits for mental health. Improved mental health for students can promote their learning and achievement as well as their overall happiness and mood. Read on to learn how dyslexia treatment can benefit your child’s mental health.
Dyslexia’s impact on mental health: Living with a learning difference like dyslexia can present challenges both inside and outside the classroom. There are a few different issues that can be affected by dyslexia. Some of these include:
- Anxiety: Anxiety is an emotional symptom that many students with dyslexia experience. Constant frustration or confusion with academics can lead students to anticipate failure. In addition, classroom situations that require reading and writing can lead to a student’s anxiety in relation to embarrassment or criticism. This can lead to a student’s hesitancy to participate in academic activities.
- Self-esteem: Struggling to keep up with peers in an academic setting can lead to frustration, embarrassment, and in turn, low self-esteem for a child. Fighting these feelings of inferiority can be challenging for students with dyslexia.
- Time management: Students with dyslexia can have difficulty with time management due to comorbid attention or executive function challenges. Living with their learning disability means that they require extra time to complete routine reading and writing assignments. This issue with time can cause stress for students who need to meet deadlines and finish work.
Tools for life: There are many options for helping students with dyslexia to manage their symptoms and improve their reading and writing skills. Some of these methods include tutoring, classroom accommodations, assistive technology, and dyslexia therapy. It is essential to understand that dyslexia is a lifelong condition, but adding the proper support and intervention can help dyslexic students to thrive in both their academic and their personal lives. Dyslexia therapy has the power to help students to improve in so many ways. Some benefits include:
- Reduced anxiety and stress: Dyslexia therapy can help to reduce anxiety and stress by providing students with strategies to build their skills. Students who experience improvement through dyslexia therapy can feel more relaxed and at ease in academic situations.
- Improved self-esteem: Working to improve reading and writing skills can boost a student’s confidence and self-esteem. As students begin to improve and excel in their academic abilities, they are likely to feel more positive about themselves in academic and school settings.
- Higher quality social skills and relationships: An added benefit of improving academic skills like reading and writing is the improvement of communication skills. These improved social interactions can have a positive impact on students’ relationships with family, friends, classmates, and teachers. Becoming a better communicator can help a student with dyslexia to feel more connected to others, which is essential to good mental health.
- Increased academic performance: Of course, one of the main goals of dyslexia therapy is improvement in the classroom. Success in academics can lead to overall positive feelings, which is why the right dyslexia treatment is so important for students. As students become better readers and writers, these enhanced skills can lead to improvements in all subjects that involve reading and writing.
- Overall improved quality of life: Building skills and confidence can have a tremendous impact on a student’s overall quality of life. Experiencing success in the classroom can lead to greater satisfaction and happiness all around.
The experts at Dyslexia on Demand are passionate about changing the lives and self-image of students with dyslexia. Developing better academic skills can lead to more confidence and success. Dyslexia on Demand’s mission is to make dyslexia tutoring and therapy accessible to students who need it by offering one-on-one therapy with Certified Academic Language Therapists. Dyslexia therapy guides students with dyslexia through multisensory programs for reading and spelling. All of this help and instruction can lead to both academic and mental health benefits.
Would your child benefit from dyslexia tutoring and therapy? Contact Dyslexia on Demand to learn more about the therapies we utilize or reach out by phone at 512-387-6365.